[Healeys] Dynalite or which alternator to C42 Generator

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon May 1 01:27:22 MDT 2017

The dynamo look-a-like alternators seem to have a bad reputation on
reliability and probably do not deliver what they promise. You are
fitting a non-standard item anyway so why not fit fit a tried and tested
Lucas ACR../100 or AC Delco unit and be frank about it. You can do away
with the regulator or use it as a junction box. Do not forget to upgrade
your wiring, which would be a good thing to do anyway, the 50+ year old
harness is most likely very tired, messed about with and prone to
overheating/fire in various areas. At the least replace the wiring from
the alternator to the battery with wiring that can handle twice the
original current. It is also a good idea to increase the rating of the
wiring of the headlamps, aux. lights, blower, and wipers. The average
voltage will increase to about 14,5-15V thus there will be slightly more
current.
Kees Oudesluijs