[Healeys] Static Timing a Pertronix Ignitor

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Feb 11 21:50:17 MST 2017

I haven't done this--and my engine is elsewhere so I'm working from
feeble memory--but I THINK this'll work, if the distributor has been
installed correctly:

1) turn the engine to TDC on the #1 cylinder, using whatever method you
prefer

2) put the rotor on the distributor cam, it should point to about 2
o'clock IIRC

3) find the #1 secondary lead terminal on the inside of the distributor
and make a mark corresponding to its location on the outside of the cap
(firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4; #1 is the 'first' terminal on the 'bottom'
level again, IIRC)

4) put the cap on the distributor and turn the distributor body so that
your mark for the #1 cylinder is approximately over the center of the
rotor tip (again, about 2 o'clock), plus turn the distributor a few
degrees clockwise

This should get the timing close enough for the engine to fire, then use
an advance meter, or trial-and-error, to fine tune the timing.

This is just a SWAG, but I think it'll work.  Anybody see an issue
please chime in.

Bob