[Healeys] Which coolant/antifreeze?

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Aug 19 09:53:44 MDT 2017

Info here:

http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel/aftermarket/article/story/2013/05/how-much-do-you-know-about-heavy-duty-coolants.aspx

I've used regular 'green stuff' with distilled water--deionized is fine,
too--for over 130K miles in my BJ8 with no cooling/coolant issues
(roughly 40/60 AF/water).  You can use more water if there's no chance
of a freeze, and you'll get slightly better cooling.  Chances are,
you'll be draining and replacing your coolant occasionally for reasons
not necessarily related to the cooling system anyway.

The OAT stuff should work fine, but the article mentions a potential
contamination problem.   The Castrol seems a bit dear; regular Prestone
'green' goes for about $17/gallon over here, and a gallon gives about a
40/60 water/AF mix which is good down to below freezing.  I recently had
my engine overhauled and there was no scale or sludge to speak of.

Bob