[Healeys] Which coolant/antifreeze?

rft2 at aol.com rft2 at aol.com
Sat Aug 19 12:34:54 MDT 2017

Hi Paul,

AH engine is all cast iron and may have older hoses and gaskets.  So I would be hesitant to use an OAT due to potential hose and gasket degradation.

My recommendation would be to use a nitrited coolant to protect the cast iron, such as Zerex G-05 (or some BASF equivelant).  If you want to go conventional coolant make sure it has nitrites (commonly found in heavy duty diesel coolants).

Not sure which Castrol product you are looking at, tell me the ingrediants off the back of the bottle and I can give you an opinion.

I've used Zerex G-05, its an extended life coolant with nitrites for cast iron, silicates for aluminum(radiator) protection, azoles for yellow metal and a high dose of benzoic acid to long life protection of most metals in the engine.

Good luck

Mal Hickok
rft2 at aol.com
269-207-5074