[Healeys] Rear end noise

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 11:21:20 MDT 2016

Hi Mitchell,
The set up of hypoid diff gears is  relatively complex job requiring some
special tools and a good selection of the correct shims and considerable
experience.The process is well described in the factory workshop manual
however as others have noted if the gears are not "perfect" they will
always produce some noise regardless of how well they are set up.
I have an aftermarket spiral bevel 3.66/1 set in #174 and despite 3
attempts to make it silent it still "talks" to me.
The original crown wheel and pinion set that I removed from an Austin
Atlantic diff was silent from the time I initially installed it so I
suspect that the quality of manufacturing is very important.
Unfortunately I sold that one together with the original 2.92/1  with my
100S.
Michael S
BN1 #174

--
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*