[Healeys] British registration number plate

Peter Dzwig pdzwig at summaventures.com
Fri Jun 24 08:30:25 MDT 2016

Mark,

I don't really understand the question. Are you looking to identify the car? or
the owner? or what? or perhaps, as Sarah has implied, the general area of issue.

FWIW in the UK the licence plate in effect uniquely identifies the vehicle in
the records of the vehicle licencing authority at the time (presently DVLA). It
does not carry ownership information which is kept private within DVLA records.
Of course we know the identity of some owners of special cars (eg DD300) but
that isn't unambiguous - see discussions on these pages over many years.

Therefore there is only a slim chance that your plate's owner(s) can be identified.

The London County Council was the umbrella council for the whole of the London
metropolitan area up to the mid '60s when it was replaced by the Grater London
Council. According to

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_United_Kingdom,_Crown_dependencies_and_overseas_territories#Older_plates>

GT corresponds to a South West London issue (not necessarily where the owner lived).

My guess is that the letters were issued as and when they were needed, not on
any particular timescale, as they were from '63 on when the coding system
changed. It is quite possible that they were issued either randomly or, more
probably, on a first-come first-served basis.

Strictly all that can be said is that the registration was issued between about
1953 and later '62. Since the Mk1 was produced between 1952 and 1959 we can
narrow this down a bit, to 1953 - 1959, probably later in the run. Bear in mind
too that cars weren't always registered as soon as they were built.

Hope that this helps,

Peter Dzwig