[Healeys] JB8 Stuck Heater Valve

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 17 16:13:29 MDT 2016

Mike:  In case you have not already solved the problem - a little trick courtesy of friend Bill Bolton in Oregon many years ago:

Try tapping the back end of the valve with a hammer - lightly at first.  You are trying to unseat the valve itself from the valve body by jarring the inner part to break the corrosion on the seat – it’s a simple tapered fit in the body.  This will momentarily slightly compress the spring that holds the bits together.  This has always worked for me.  Just about anything else one can try will likely break the handle off, or damage the assembly in some other way.

This little fix also works for the block coolant drain valve, and the (stock) radiator drain valve.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb