[Healeys] Keeping rear shock bolts tight

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 17:36:54 MST 2016

Under most conditions a properly torqued bolt won't come loose unless exposed to extreme vibration. Books I have read on race car prep are very down on split lock washers as the authors feel that the bolt has too loosen before the lock washer digs in. They much prefer using Loctite, new locking nuts or if that is not adequate drilled and safety wired hardware.
Personally I think if you are going to go with lock washers go full Brit style. Bolt, lock washer, flat washer, bracket, shock, bracket, flat washer, lock washer, nut.
If you use Loctite the surfaces must be absolutely clean. No grease, no rust, no crud built up in the threads. Use a new nut and bolt if possible. Spray the bolt and nut with brake clean just before assembly to make sure everything is clean. Do not use red Loctite, use blue. When properly applied red will tear the threads off a grade 8 bolt (I've done it!). That's a little more staying power than you need.
Rick

Sent from my iPhone