[Healeys] Throw out bearing

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 11:43:16 MST 2016

*"There must be some way to adjust."*
No, there isn't any need. The "free play elimination spring" (That's my
name, not sure if there is an official one) inside the slave cylinder
removes any necessity for clutch adjustment...BUT...it is that very spring
that caused so many problems with winter driven TR6's in this part of the
world.
As Kees described
* "Excessive wear on the clutch cover can be caused when the bearing is
just touching the fingers, but not enough to spin the bearing at the same
speed"*
The "free play elimination spring" did exactly that i.e. it caused the
bearing to just touch the fingers of the clutch cover BUT in cold weather
the grease in the bearing thickened up enough to prevent the bearing from
spinning freely which contact eventually caused the clutch fingers to wear
away and break off accompanied by some horrendous noises in most cases!!!
The TR2/6 clutch operating system was a poor design right from the start
and this was one of numerous problems with it but I digress   :-)
Michael S
BN1 #174

--
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*