[Healeys] Starting a BJ8

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Fri Dec 16 08:16:18 MST 2016

Let's assume for the moment that the engine, carbs, linkage & electronics are all stock. I.E. Not modified/improved/altered, etc. It sounds like the problem is limited to initial start up issues. I.E. "cold" start issues. The most likely suspect is the choke, or lack of full choke. A way to test this is to have someone (familiar with HD carbs) manually apply full choke & keep it full choked while someone tries to start the engine. It should start & keep running after a short period of cranking.  Also, after the engine has warmed up and the choke is released, make sure the chokes are actually fully released. I.E. the choke cable & mechanism is not still partially choking the carbs due to improper adjustment, friction, binding etc.

Of course, starting can also be affected by maladjusted Carbs, choke & throttle linkage. It is a very tedious job to clean, lubricate & correctly adjust all the carb, throttle & choke linkage. Then adjust the timing, balance & adjust the carbs. Most people including professional mechanics tend to skip a few steps.

Here are a few more things to inspect & not assume are set correctly: improper vacuum advance functioning, valve clearance, correct spark plug, plug condition & gap, fuel float level.

To repeat, in my experience the most likely culprit is a choke that either fails to fully engage or fully disengage (or both).

Gary Hodson