[Healeys] Healey Screw Threads

Curtis Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 14:47:43 MST 2016

Neil,

In a word no, let me explain.

It all depends, BN1/2s had some Whitworth threads (BSF - British Standard
Fine), maybe half of their fasteners, but not all.  Primarily the engine,
transmission, front suspension and rear end had BSF fasteners which were
slowly phased out a bit at a time, but not totally as the production
progressed.  These were on the already produced parts that I've mentioned
and it took some time to phase these out.

The primary Whitworth fasteners on a 100 are as follows...

BSF - British Standard Fine
BSW - British Standard Whitworth (coarse)
BSPP - British Standard Pipe Parallel
BSPT - British Standard Pipe Tapered
BSB - British Standard Brass

*Whitworth by definition* has a 55 degree thread pitch angle versus the 60
degree angle of other modern threads, so all of the above listed thread
forms are Whitworth.

Other British fasteners include BA, British Association which are the
equivalent of American machine threads but are definitely NOT
interchangeable.  BA threads have a 47-1/2 degree thread pitch angle versus
the 60 degree angle of other machine screws.

And believe it or not there is one BSC, British Standard Cycle thread used
on AH roadsters.

Your BN6 with have primarily Unified fasteners, UNF, UNC and machine
threads such as No. 10-32.  These are virtually identical to and completely
interchangeable with American fasteners, i.e. ANF, ANC or SAE Fine and
Coarse.

These can be purchased anywhere her in the US, however, the head markings
will NOT be the same on the bolts!

Cheers,

Curt