[Healeys] Clutch-related noise

Ed O'Neal Ed at wadsworthoneal.com
Mon Dec 12 07:21:05 MST 2016

Michael,

Approximately 15,000 miles after having replaced the carbon release bearing, I noted a similar sound – actually within a little time it turned into more of a grinding sound.  Upon inspection, the release bearing was completely worn out.  I blamed it on a poor quality release bearing.  While replacing the bearing, I noted that the slave cylinder (without depressing the clutch peddle) was pushing the bearing into contact with the clutch plate.  Thus the bearing would be continuously in contact during all driving conditions (mostly70 MPH on I75).  I bled the system several times – no help.  I changed the master cylinder – no help.  Something was pushing the slave cylinder piston out.  I didn’t think there was a spring in the slave cylinder – there wouldn’t need to be one there anyway.  Then I took a very close look at the Moss slave cylinder diagram.  There it was, just barely visible, peeking out of the cylinder – THE SPRING.

I removed the spring.  Now 25,000 miles later everything is still working fine!

When you disassemble things, check for this situation.

Ed

ed at wadsworthoneal.com<mailto:ed at wadsworthoneal.com>

Edward J. O’Neal, P.E., Pte.
Wadsworth O’Neal Associates, Inc.