[Healeys] Disk brake conversion

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 12:31:27 MDT 2016

Hi Ross,
Before going any further I would recommend assessing what you have.
If you are not intending to use a brake servo then best to model your new
system on that of the pre BJ8 disc brake system.
Is the total piston area of the calipers that you have chosen larger or
smaller than that of the the Girling 14 calipers that those cars used. I
forget the diameter of the pistons in those calipers, it may be 1.4", but
I'm sure someone on the list will have that info.
If the piston *area* is similar say within 10% then they should be
satisfactory with the 5/8" bore master cyl  used in those cars although the
1" rear cylinders of the 100/6 may have resulted in excessive rear braking.
 *BUT* a change from 1" (0.79 sq. in) to 5/8" (0.30 sq. in), i.e less that
40% area, IS SERIOUS OVERKILL and should definitely have moved the bias to
the front.
You need to do the calculations before changing things..
Michael S
BN1 #174

--
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*