[Healeys] top frames

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 27 21:58:33 MDT 2016

Gentlemen:

I have just recently been fighting with this very problem on my freshly restored BJ8.

It seems that on most BJ7 / BJ8’s, in order to have a nice, relatively wrinkle free soft top installation (when it’s up), it has to be installed relatively tightly, and most are a bear to get latched.  I’ve seen more BJ8 owners struggling with their soft tops recently – most of us are ageing (a bit!), and don’t have the finger / hand strength that we once had.

There are 2 components regarding this thing:  getting the latch hook to ‘snap’ over the fixed hook on the windshield frame, and then lifting the ‘tab’ on the latch itself to haul the top frame forward and lock it to the windshield.  You may have noticed that there is enough force when doing this to visibly move the windshield frame rearward – that top frame applies a lot of force!

I have – just recently - learned (at the Penticton Rendevous Meet) of a couple of techniques that promise to help.  One is to file a bevel on the latch hook to help it slide over the fixed hook.  Thanks to Kent Lambert of Oregon for that tip.  If you sit there and simply look at the bits as they engage, it will be immediately obvious where the latch hook needs to be filed.  I have just done this, but haven’t yet tried it out.  It may need further work, so I can’t yet comment.  When I was doing it, it seemed to make a big difference, but the top was already up and stretched (and it was a warm day).  Of course, once all the filing is done, the hook will have to be re-chromed. (at least mine will be).

The second item was a small assist handle made from a short length of appropriate sized conduit flattened at one end to slip over the latch ‘tab’ for additional leverage – thanks to John Wilson for that little tip.  Haven’t gotten to that part yet, but I bet it will nicely solve the problem.

One other tip, which really applies to any Healey:  when the car is to be stored for any length of time, the top should be up and fully latched to combat shrinkage. ( that way, you can regularly check if you are getting weaker!)

PS – I have installed a clutch pedal extender on both Healeys in order to be able to get the seat back further and still be comfortable operating the clutch.  Makes a huge difference, and I’m not all that tall.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb