[Healeys] Steering idler bits

Alan Bromfield bluehealey at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 01:41:34 MDT 2016

Hi Simon.
Yes, you have the components correctly identified. The 'bush' you identify
is actually nothing more than a foam collar which wicks up any seepage from
the box.  The oil seal is a standard design lip seal pressed into the
bottom housing of the box.  I believe an uprated alternative with double
lips is available but don't have details.
Replacement is easy after removing the drop arm (29). That's the rub! The
drop arm is fitted to a tapered spline with a 'blind' spline acting as a
keyway to ensure alignment. Getting the arm off the box can be a bear even
with the box out of the car.  I resorted to a hydraulic press, a big hammer
and a dolly (each side of the drop arm) to get mine off.
Nothing complicated but not for the faint hearted. Factor it in as a winter
job and if the arm isn't off in half an hour then take the box out of the
car.
I'm in Dorset (near Shaftesbury). Let me know if you need a hand.

AlanB

Alan Bromfield