[Healeys] Oil seeping from distributor tower

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 05:25:15 MDT 2016

Hey guys.
2 quick suggestions.
1. The best way to find an oil leak.
Degrease engine, hose off with water. Kiss your wife, as she heads off to the shops. Wave, smile.
Start engine to warm it up. Duck up inside, grab her hairdryer and talcum powder*.
Use hairdryer to ensure suspect leak area is dry. Apply talcum powder. Apply liberally, shaking from highest point. Restart engine and wipe fingerprints off hairdryer and talc.
Run until hot.
Have a beer, then inspect the leak suspect area. Follow the oiled talc to the highest point on the engine. You'll be surprised how talc shows so many leaks are actually e.g. Rocker cover gasket, rather than side plate gasket.
*If you're single, you can just use flour. Your Mum will have some.
2. Anneal copper washers.
Here's a good explanation:
http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/reference/annealling-copper-aluminium-washers
Best