[Healeys] Stainless exhaust manifold repair

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Thu Nov 26 09:47:14 MST 2015

I have a 6 branch stainless exhaust setup on my MkII 3000.

I hope that I can make myself clear......

1)      The carbs and exhaust system are on the workshop floor.....

2)      Imagine that you're looking into the engine compartment, looking at
the "Gasket, manifolds to head" (the silver gasket that goes between the
manifolds and the head).

3)      The top RHS & LHS studs are shared by the inlet and exhaust
manifolds so they are held down into the gasket by the same bolts and
washers.

4)      Therefore, both manifolds need to be the same thickness or they
don't get the same pressure metal to gasket and the shallower side will
leak.

Well, mine aren't the same thickness. The exhaust manifold has been ground
down at the tip/corner which is covered by the washer under the bolt.
(Presumably in the manufacturing process.)  First time I put the 6 branch
on, it was fine for about 1,000 miles then it started to blow under that
bolt/washer. (Cooking the temperature sender pipe, but otherwise just a
little noise. Nothing serious).

I took off the rear carb and leant the exhaust away from the engine.

I then sliced off the section off the gasket which covered that area and
replaced it with a portion off a new gasket.

I put a half washer (shim?) under the main washer on the exhaust side of
that stud. This took up the difference in width and all was well.

Now, I have it all on the floor and am looking for a better fix. Some form
of plastic metal springs to mind.....Clean up the area on the exhaust
manifold. Apply the gloop. Let it cure and file it flat.

Is there a product out there that will a) really stand the heat ie support
the manufacturer's claims and b) allow itself to be filed so thin that it
doesn't flake off???

Abro Thermometal High Temp metal....

VersaChem Exhaust Joint...

QuickSteel Thermostell Exhaust Repair Kit

JB Weld, but that's reputedly no good at very high temperatures. (Goes white
& breaks up).

My research so far has let me to the above. I remain however deeply
suspicious of miracle cures which come in little pots or tubes. What do you
think?

Of course, I could put the half washer back on..

Or, I could have someone weld a blob onto that corner and file that flat.
Would weld peel off if it was that thin? (.33mm+/-)

Thanks,

Simon