[Healeys] Clutch Slave push rod problem

philip fish philipfish at waitrose.com
Wed Jun 24 09:33:01 MDT 2015

Hi all,

Last week  a friend and myself  installed a new clutch master cylinder and
slave cylinder on my 1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7. On removing the slave we
noticed that a small nut had been put on to the end of the slave cylinder
push rod by a previous owner (I have owned that car for 25 years so it was
some time ago!).

Why we wondered?

We put on the new slave (without the nut) and bled the system. Low and
behold without the nut we where unable to engage gear as there was very
little movement on the clutch pedal. Realizing that  the the nut had been
put there for a reason we removed the push rod from the slave and replaced
the nut (1/4 " in width) and hey presto we then got more movement on the
pedal and could engae all the gears. the push rod appeared to be a standard
size.

 I have now got a extended push rod, but as its 14mm longer than the
standard one it may not work.

Does anybody know whats going on? We assume that the real problem lies
inside the gear box. What would be a better solution (without going inside
the box)?

Any help welcome.

Phil