[Healeys] SU Needles & OIL ( or lack of )

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Jun 24 07:20:33 MDT 2015

FWIW I don't notice any sort of clatter on first start-up in either my
BN2 or BJ8.  The BN2 is a fresh rebuild, and the the BJ8 has in the
neighborhood of 100K miles on it.  I don't think 'clatter' is normal,
but offhand don't know what would cause it (it's usually associated with
engines with hydraulic lifters that are bleeding down).

As for the too rich problem, I think you want to run on the rich side
with higher compression.  With the flat top pistons, what kind of
compression are you getting?  A richer mixture will help prevent
detonation (to a point).

Bob