[Healeys] SU Needles & OIL ( or lack of )

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Wed Jun 24 01:38:28 MDT 2015

Problem 1: How do you know the engine is running rich? Is it OK at
idling (blue on the ColorTune: correct, orange: rich), are the plugs
black after a long stretch?

Problem 2: What is your oil pressure at say 2500rpm and at idle when the
engine is really hot after a long high speed run. Is the oil pressure
slightly dipping when you blip the engine when hot?

If at start up after only one night you can actually hear the bearings
rumbling/rattling I would suspect worn bearings or, but unlikely, the
wrong oil (way to thin) if you are lucky.
Other causes can be:
faulty/absent non return valve in the oil filter
small leak in the suction part of the oil pump circuit

Never start a cold engine using the throttle to rev it up immediately
after firing. Let it idle until you read oil pressure. On my JH car it
can take over 20 seconds before I have oil pressure.

Kees Oudesluijs