[Healeys] pertronix failure

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 08:25:43 MDT 2015

John--

This is what I like about Pertronix or the like)--when they fail they
simply fail!  You don't have to check if the dwell is wrong, if the
condenser is faulty, if the little insulating washer on the distributor
post has worn through and grounded everything out, etc. etc.  Simply remove
and replace either with another Pertronix (truly they rarely do fail) or
with the points set you kept for just this situation.

While the latter solution is fine for an alongside-the-road scenario when I
am racing I rarely have time to go through the process of hopefully finding
the problem and checking it out as each wrong fix costs me a session on the
track so while I am fine with points sets for street cars I really do like
the simplicity of dealing with suspect electronic modules.

Hope you and Cindy are doing well.  Brenda and I were out in
Charlottesville a few weeks back scouting around for properties as we are
thinking about moving further south and unfortunately I did not think to
give you a call prior to the visit as possibly we could have gone a bit
further west and met up.

BTW I have had a Mallory Unilite in my 100 for maybe 11-12 years and it has
never let me down, probably because it knows there is a replacement unit in
the boot!

Best--Michael Oritt