[Healeys] Rear axle gasket question

Steve B. Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Mon Jan 26 10:25:55 MST 2015

Some observations:
New Moss gasket - .014"
Old gasket originally coated with Hylomar, as removed from axle - .010"

.004" = copier paper

My axle is buttoned up with a new gasket and the rear rotor/caliper back in place or I'd try to do a science project here.

For a gasket thickness, perhaps if one were to bolt the assembly together without gasket and measure the gap with shims, then add .003" to that.

The new bearing, assembled with heat and cold per Tom Monaco's instructions, is a tight fit in the carrier and axle - IIRC the bearing depends on this more than the compression of the spacer, gasket, etc.

--
Steve Gerow
Altadena, CA