[Healeys] Rear axle gasket question

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Mon Jan 26 09:41:38 MST 2015

I have not tried it but I doubt it. On the three axles I have actual experience with the gasket needed to be Approx. 0.004" thick so that the spacer met the specified tolerances in the workshop manual. The gaskets I purchased were all approx. 0.010" thick. That would be a lot of squish. You would have to squish it without the bearing spacer in place. Then remove the axle & measure how much the spacer stood proud of the gasket. Then reassemble everything, if it met spec. It seemed easier to just make a gasket of the proper thickness.
Gary Hodson

From: Simon Lachlan <simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk>
Subject: RE: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question

If you soaked the too big gaskets in, say, WD40, wouldn’t they compress down to a proper size as you tightened up?

Just a thought..............

Simon