[Healeys] Leak from rocker/valve cover

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Wed Dec 30 20:51:57 MST 2015

Hi Phil. I gave up on cork gaskets on tin rocker covers a long time ago.
On my Healey I cleaned the gasket face on the rocker cover to remove all
oil. I oiled the gasket face on the head liberally. ( that isn't the
political use of the word, liberally I mean ) Then applied a very large
bead of silicone sealant to the rocker cover gasket face, and least 1/4
or ( 6mm if your so inclined). Sit the rocker cover on the head and
install the hold down bolts. Tighten by hand until the silicone oozes
out all the way round. Leave to cure overnight. Remove the rocker cover
and trim back the silicone neatly. Refit the rocker cover and nip up the
hold down bolts. My engine now collects dust rather than oil leaks, and
you can remove a replace the cover without any problems.
Happy new year.
Larry Varley