[Healeys] Gas Gauge

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Wed Aug 26 05:49:15 MDT 2015

If a sender is not working properly it may be that a wrong type is
fitted with a float lever rod that is to short, to long or bend in the
wrong way. If it is to short the dial will indicate the full range from
empty to full while the tank is not full when it reads empty correctly
or the other way around. If the lever rod is to long the dial will not
read its full scale indicating partially full when full and/or partially
full when empty. Lengthening or shortening is a fairly easy operation
but needs some experimenting and a dead level floor.
Also a bend lever may lead to faulty readings similar to those above.

On the early coil type gauges you can fit a big capacitor to counteract
more or less the continuous restless moving about of the needle which
you do not have on the later bi-metal gauges that give a steady reading.
Kees Oudesluijs