[Healeys] Gas Gauge

John Spaur jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 25 23:18:34 MDT 2015

Yes! Will you ever be able to adjust it so it works even remotely close to
accurate? I don't think so. There are many posts covering issues with the
fuel gauge and tank unit. My gauge and sender were "calibrated" by a couple
of shops. The sender is a restored original. Afterwards, it would still
stick on full, then when over half a tank was used it would drop to 1/2,
then 1/4 and stop.

I finally calibrated my gauge, with a little more success than the
professionals, using the calibration unit in this link:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/fg_01.htm BTW, I pulled the sender out of
the car and calibrated it on the bench. You will need to approximate the
high and low limits which are determined by the depth of the petrol tank.

Be warned, it still is almost fruitless. I believe the problem is caused by
how the fuel gauge T and B coils line up with the armature. The fuel gauge
needle is connected to the armature and swings based on the magnetic current
supplied by the sending unit. Over the years the coils have tilted and
cannot be properly aligned with the armature when the nut is tightened. This
throws off the adjustment.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

John Spaur