[Healeys] Steering Wheel Question

Team.net lawrence.swift at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 08:40:33 MDT 2015

I have a BT7 with a curious steering wheel (?) issue.

When restoring the car, I discovered the steering column had been slightly
bent.

The column has been straightened.  Otherwise, the internals in the box are
the same (i.e., bushings, peg, etc.).  The column appears to be ok now
including the splines that secure the steering wheel.

The idler has been rebuilt as has the suspension and all components of the
cross rod steering system.

The car has been aligned.

I set the steering wheel so that one of the spokes was vertical when the
wheels are straight ahead.  Worked fine for a while.

But recently, the steering wheel has rotated counterclockwise about 45
degrees with the wheels straight ahead.

This is the second time this has happened.

There was very little rotational play in the steering wheel (an inch or 2)
prior to the mysterious 45 degree rotation; this amount of rotation has not
changed.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Larry Swift