[Healeys] FW: Starter resistance

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Apr 16 22:47:06 MDT 2015

An anecdote, but maybe it'll help:

When we restored our BN2, we went back to 2x6V batteries.  We had
intermittent starting problems; connections at the solenoid and
elsewhere would get pistol hot.  We had fabricated our own battery
cables--from double-ought stranded welding cable!--but my dad was
worried our soldered connections were bad.  We often charged the
batteries to max charge on a charger before testing the starting system.

Then, one day Dad accidentally shorted out the two batteries (he's lucky
he didn't get an explosion or splashed with acid, or both). He replaced
the two batteries and, lo and behold,  the big 4-cyl spins over better
than my BJ8, and the 4 has better compression. The car may sit for a
couple months but always has charge for a start.  Bottom line: still
could be the battery.

Side note: the BN2's batteries are Interstate brand--golf cart
batteries, actually--and so are the 3 batteries I've had in my 2008
Mustang.  That's right, 3 batteries in 7 years; the first two both went
almost exactly at 3 years, I expect the third to go in 3 as well.  These
Interstates are hecho en Mexico; I wanted to buy a Parts+ battery but
would have had to wait a day to get it and this car is my daily driver.
I had a Parts+ battery go 7 years in my BJ8; it was still cranking but
was on the low end of a load test and I was getting ready for a long
road trip.  And, it's made in the USA.

I thought Interstate was a good brand; I won't buy another if I can help it.

Bob