[Healeys] FW: Starter resistance

John Spaur jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 16 18:28:25 MDT 2015

The pinion gear binds on the worm gear when is spins down and engages the flywheel starter gear. I can recreate on the bench. When this first occurred it was because the armature shaft could move too far forward which allowed the pinon gear to move too far down the worm gear. I put a thrust washer between the armature and the end plate (inside the motor) to limit the movement of the armature shaft. There was already a very worn steel thrust washer in that place.