[Healeys] Removing Big Nut on Crankshaft

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sun May 4 20:08:13 MDT 2014

I did that, too.  While using a big spanner to turn the engine for adjusting the valves, I stupidly used the button on the starter relay to bump the engine over, forgetting the wrench was still on the dog nut.  The engine turned, the wrench stopped when it hit the inner fender (also no damage), but the starter spun the nut off, shearing the lock tab on the washer.  My starter surely had enough torque to take the nut off.  Next time I need to remove the nut, I'll turn the wrench until it rests on a block of wood on the inner fender, and then hit the relay button.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC