[Healeys] 54-spoke wheel

Peter Svilans peter.svilans at rogers.com
Tue Jan 28 07:32:13 MST 2014

In the wheel listing it actually said "Magnesium Rim".  It was likely a
magnesium/ aluminum alloy called Elektron, the aluminum component being only a
small percentage (9% or so).  Remember calling special wheels on a car "mag
wheels" ?  It oxidizes  very easily and hence is hard to weld. The rear axle
castings on my 1934 Raleigh Safety Seven are magnesium and were quite badly
pitted where the black paint had come off.

I have a 1957 Triumph (TWN) scooter with what looked like a large cast
aluminum legshield which had been repaired with a patch and rivets.  I thought
this rather crude, and thought "Well, I'll just aluminum weld it up with the
gas torch".  It exploded with a blinding green-blue flame, nearly dropped
everything and burned the place up.  Further research into the factory specs
showed the legshield to be a magnesium casting, not aluminum.  On top of that,
aluminum primers don't work on it (despite Sikkens' assurances), as the new
finish developed severe cauliflowers under the paint three weeks in.  I'm now
told you have to anodize the piece before painting.

Best
Peter