[Healeys] 54-spoke wheel

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Jan 28 07:00:19 MST 2014

It is no doubt meant jokingly but in earnest do not keep magnesium near
an intense heat source as it may burn very violently. In the old days it
was used in a very small quantity in powder form when taking a flash
photo!! Remember chemistry classes of old. It was/is also a major
concern in racing cars and aeroplanes.
Magnesium corrodes faster and a bit more granularly than aluminium,
although it is hard to distinguish. It also gets porous quite easily.
Cast alloy wheels/rims are mostly a mix of mainly aluminium and a small
amount of magnesium and other elements. They will not burn unless
extremely hot, well over what you can get with a blow torch. It will
melt first.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Chris Dimmock schreef op 28-1-2014 14:42:
> Joe, if you put a serious heat source on your special 54 spoke wires, and they
> burst into flames..... They might be magnesium.
> Have you tried that????
> Or are you just guessing they are aluminum??
> Science or gut feel??
> ;-)
> Chris
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 29 Jan 2014, at 12:04 am, sebring at hotkey.net.au wrote:
>
>>> Somewhere there's a 1960 listing of Healey competition wire wheels
>>> availableto special order.  They were 54-spoke, steel hub and spokes, but
>>> MAGNESIUMrims. For the whopping price of $ 25 per wheel.
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Peter