[Healeys] Spark Scatter over 4000rpm

Andy Thorp bce257 at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Feb 28 16:40:32 MST 2014

Hi Alan,

If you are also a determined fiddler then it is not so difficult to install
the sensor once the trans is removed, probably about four hours work including
a trip to the bolt shop. There is a bit of complexity involved in setting up
the electronics if that isn't your area of expertise but it's not that hard.
It really won't give any real world advantage over the distributor though.

The sensor is a Honeywell 1GT101DC
Electronic timing is handled by a locally made Link G4 "Atom" ECU, as is the
fuel injection. Any ecu like Megasquirt would also do.

To position the sensor, take out one of the clutch cover bolts and use a snug
fitting drill to mark a location on the backing plate that will place the
sensor as far away from the sump as possible. The location I chose interferes
with the sump a little when taking the sensor out which is why you can see the
hole (11/16") is filed away to allow it to tip sideways slightly for removal.
You might be able to find a better location.

The clutch cover bolts need to be replaced with 1.5" long all-thread
(setscrew) ones so they stick out of the back for the sensor to read. The 5/16
threads in the flywheel also need the last few turns tapping so the bolts can
go all the way through. Then set the clearance for the sensor- I used a
handbrake lever spacer and two washers stacked up.  As the car is still
positive earth I can power the sensor from the hold-down bolt.
http://tinyurl.com/lpjavoa

Beware the slippery slope of trying to improve the early BN4 engine...
http://tinyurl.com/n6f8wvp

Andy.