[Healeys] 100 engine bore for sleeves

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Wed Feb 19 21:14:54 MST 2014

Larry,

I had to make some similar decision when I rebuilt my 100 motor, I am quite
sure it had a lot more than 8,000 miles, there were deep pits in the bores,
as if they had corroded or something, I know the car sat for some years and
perhaps it they did have spots of corrosion.  Anyway I decided on my own
that the engine needed to be resleeved and purchased a set from one of our
big suppliers here, Moss Motors.  My machinist, who was by no means an AH
expert, but who I had a certain degree of faith in (if you don't find
another machinist) suggested that while he could put the sleeves in he would
rather we try to find some big bore pistons, and I sourced some .060" over
from England, not being able to find anything bigger than .040" from U.S.
suppliers at the time.  He also felt the quality of the steel used on the
motor block and fittings was quite good.  He said he could do the sleeves if
I insisted, but did not recommend, it, as it would cost more, and there also
might be some risk of damage (cracking?) to the block, which may relate to
your question of how big you would want to go with the sleeves, but
certainly doesn't give you a specific answer.

I know you probably know this, but do have the head checked for cracks.

Regards,

Greg Lemon