[Healeys] 100 engine bore for sleeves

John Rowe john at jtkarowe.com.au
Wed Feb 19 21:41:08 MST 2014

Hi Larry
I did this to my 100 some 12yrs ago. I had bought std bore flat top pistons
from JP Pistons in Adelaide but due to misunderstanding with machinist who I
understood said the bore was fine it later turned out not to be the case. A
P/o had evidently experienced heavy oil consumption and had fitted Cords
rings which have a detrimental effect on bore leaving it wavy.
The machinist recommended re-sleeving rather than over-boring as that was
cheaper than buying new pistons again as the liners were cheaper than
pistons with the same amount of machining required.
I understand he used liners from a Mazda diesel engine but from what model I
don't know. They must be thicker than usual as I couldn't insert the
distributor cog past the liner. This was easily fixed by machining the cog
on a linishing machine.T his same problem also occurred on a fellow
Queeensland club members engine but I understand they ground a bit of the
liner away in the distributor tunnel.
Either way both fixes were successful
Regards
John Rowe