[Healeys] Master Cyl - thoughts

michaelsalter at gmail.com michaelsalter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 21:53:27 MST 2014

In my experience the first indication of problems with aluminum cylinders which have been honed to the extent that the anodizing is damaged is that the fluid starts to go black.

The blackness is caused by material that has worn off the back outer corner of the seal as a result of the pressure in the cylinder being sufficient to squeeze the seal into the enlarged gap between the piston and the cylinder wall.

At the first sign of brake fluid becoming black the cylinder seals should be checked for wear on the shoulder of the seals where they bear against the piston.

If this is not attended to the seal will eventually be cut through just inside the outer rim resulting in instant and catastrophic failure often without any other warning and usually during a panic stopb&

Been there, done that, not pretty.

Michael S

BN1 #174