[Healeys] Old Business-PWB 57

Jackson Krall jackson_krall at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 9 12:06:18 MST 2014

Well folks, its past time that I clear up any confusion I may have created with my suggestion that PWB 57 (now registered EG 38) was powered by an aluminium MGC engine. I had thought the best time to do this was when the Vigilance Committee was out chasing after that Triumph guy that was messing with Jose but I've been busy with other things, so here goes.
I was able to contact Mr Paul Woolmer, the current caretaker and pose the question, (4 or 7 main bearings?) directly. While waiting for his reply I poked around the internet and found photos of the car being preped at the 'Works' and it didn't look good for my supposition. Mr Woolmer was good enough to get back to me and explained that he wasn't sure due to the fact that the original aluminium block was no longer in the car and not in his posseession at this time, however, he would be getting it soon and get back to me. He did, and he did. The photos he sent clearly show it to be a 4 main bearing block. Derek, Simon, Chris, Ulla and Sven and others, you were correct, I was not, and of course I can't remember the last time that happened. Very disappointing as it seemed like such a great Healey archaeological find and indeed, as is my habit, I was rooting for the underdog. Perhaps, if I may risk further speculation, Mr Brownings quoted "basically the same"
 refers to the degree of prep the two very different engines recieved. Sorry for any palpitations I may have caused and ...
All the best to this great list!
JK