[Healeys] BN1/2 Scuttle Shake

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 08:40:15 MST 2014

Bob/all--

What is often charged off to "scuttle shake" seems to come in at 60 mph
which corresponds to what happens when wheels are out of balance--and btw I
have seen cars of all types--not just LBC's--where when traveling at this
speed the wheels are literally bouncing off the road.  My experience and
belief has always been that having wheels/tires well-balanced seems to
eliminate this bounce/ shake or whatever you will call it.

Prior to my recently having mounted a set of Michelin XAS's my 100
experienced a bit of "shake" at 60 and the car was at that time wearing a
pretty old set of XAS's that last saw a balancing machine around 10 years
prior.  After having the wheels checked and new tires mounted and balanced
by Allen Hendrix the car is bounce-free at all speeds, and I did nothing
else save mount up the new suit of rubber.

I will let you form your own conclusions but my feeling is that--assuming a
sound and strong car--the wheels/tires are often the culprit and thankfully
this can easily be addressed.

Best--Michael Oritt