[Healeys] Seat belts

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Wed May 22 06:25:35 MDT 2013

The shoulder strap of seatbelts in most roadsters leaves something to be
desired as the top mounting is usually fairly low. Either on the rear
wheel well or on the rear quarter inner panel, some on the parcel shelf
or rear deck. Preferably you would like that slightly higher than the
shoulder and just behind it.
When fitting seatbelts in these old cars you always have to compromise.
Best safety is offered with fixed seatbelts, adjusted as tight as
possible. A 3-point harness is acceptable but 4 or 5/6 point belts are
preferred. Have the lap strap as low as posible, it should be positioned
in the crease between hip and thigh, most certainly not over the
abdomen. In a three point harness have the buckle opening at the same
level or max 2" above the seat cushion. A single lap belt or a single
shoulder strap are totally unacceptable, they can be the cause of very
severe head and neck trauma
The goal is to create the same deceleration for the occupant as the car
in an unfortunate crash to keep the forces exerted on the body as low as
possible. If there is any play between occupant and harness that will
increase the deceleration considerably as you will be slammed into the
harness. The more play the higher the forces. In an automatic seatbelt
there is always some play, that is why these days pyrotechnics are used
to spin the reel to tighten the strap as tight as possible in a crash.
A very important safety item, often ignored, is the head restraint. When
wearing a seatbelt this offers some protection against whiplash and
severe neck injuries
Do not think you will be left uninjured when wearing a seatbelt in a
crash. Very common injuries from wearing a seatbelt are a broken
clavicle, broken ribs, broken breast bone (do not know the English term
for that). This happens less with a 4 or 5/6 point belt.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL