[Healeys] BN2 Flooding Problem

ATIGHTPROD at aol.com ATIGHTPROD at aol.com
Sun Mar 31 17:27:02 MDT 2013

My BN1 had a problem with the front carb but it wasn't flooding, it was
vapor locking. The front float bowl is directly above the exhaust manifold
with  no heat shield in between, unlike the read carb. And many times after
stopping  on a warm or hot day, I would experience very rough starting and
backfires until  I got the car moving and air moving through the engine bay.
    I solved the problem by mounting a marine bilge fan  next to the
radiator and now I suck cold air through the grill and the fan blows  it directly
on the front float bowl. Problem solved! Not sure if this is what  you're
experiencing, but if you would like photos of my setup, I will gladly  send
them.
    It was a really inexpensive and easy fix. The fan I  picked up off of
ebay for twenty some dollars, got some three inch vent hose  from the
hardware store and wired it in with a switch in the cockpit. If I start  to get a
bit hot, I turn on the fan and I can sit in traffic and the engine  continues
to run just fine. And if I park for a while, when I return to the car,  I
run the fan for a couple of minutes before I start the car, and she starts
right up with no problems.
Steven Kingsbury
BN1 #598