[Healeys] Battery isolation switch - curious

John Harper ah100register at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 03:10:47 MDT 2013

Alan

I believe that BMC used a 'form fit and function' approach to changes. If a
change was made by say Lucas that did not change F,F, or F then they would
have no need to change their part number. Lucas often added a letter suffix
to their part number when changes took place but not all letter changes
resulted in BMC part number changes. A fictitious example was where an
internal insulator was initially made of a black resin based material but
for production improvement Lucas changed over to nylon. So long as this did
not change the F,F or F and BMC approved the alternative material then BMC
would make no part number change.However very minor concessions might be
made if this reduced overall costs whilst maintaining customer service

There might be another reason for unusual changes. At the merger forming
BMC almost all the Morris, mainly numeric, part numbers were converted the
the Austin alpha-numeric system. A part used on both Morris and Austin
vehicles would become the Austin part but with so many changes to make,
some errors crept in and these were noticed and corrected well after the
merger as they were discovered. I am not saying that the battery switch was
one of these but this might explain other anomalies.

I am curious about the same part number being used for a BSF and a UNF
bolt. As you know BMC had a system where the main technical information
relating to a fitting was coded into the part number. Austin (BSF) fittings
had fairly random part numbers where knowing the part number did not help
in identifying a fitting. I have a full Atlantic parts list. Would you
please send me the details of where these queries can be found so that I
can have a closer look please.

Best regards

--
Best wishes