[Healeys] oil pressure gauge problem

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Thu Aug 15 09:20:51 MDT 2013

Air in the line is never the case of the vibration. There should not
really be much oil in the line if at all or any oil in the gauge. The
air in the line works as a damper, there should also be a kind of
restrictor in the gauge, often this looks like a metallic filter, just
visible or it could be a very small hole. It may be that there is a
small leak near the gauge causing the whole line to fill up with oil.
Oil pressure does fluctuate somewhat because of the fluttering of the
pressure relieve valve or the oil draining away when the crank (rod)
bearings are loaded so the the play near the oil hole in the crank is
temporarily enlarged at once every revolution, especially in older (a
bit) worn engines and with hot oil.
Loosen up the nuts at the  gauge and the engine end, let the oil drain
away and retighten. This will usually cure the vibration of the oil
pressure needle.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL