[Healeys] Blower Replacement

Rick Swain rjswain at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 1 13:57:46 MDT 2012

Yesterday, I had to drive 90 miles, in pouring rain, in my BN4 which had been
sitting in rainy weather for 2 days. I had a great drive despite the weather -
but I could really appreciate the deficiencies of the stock blower (heater
motor) I had the footwell doors closed so all of the air from the blower was
being directed at the windscreen. What was directed was pitiful. I had the
sidecurtains in place but kept them open to get more air into the car. It was
warm so no heat was needed but it took a good 20 miles before the windscreen
would stay clear without continual mopping with a cloth. I have considered
replacing the blower with a bilge blower from a boat which would flow a lot
more air. I'm wondering, however, if there is a motor that bolts right into
the existing housing that is more powerful than the one supplied in
Austin-Healeys. I believe some Jags have a blower housing that's essentially
identical to the Healey one. Is the motor the same or possibly more powerful?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Rick Swainwww.classicmotorart.cafull-colour drawings of your car