[Healeys] Frogeye value

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Tue Nov 20 20:04:24 MST 2012

My brother bought a bugeye looking somewhat similar to this a couple years
ago, in this case from the original owner, in storage since the early 70s,
ran when parked, solid floors and rockers, couple bubbles on the rear
wheelarches.  All there and very original (except a period Ansa or Stebro
(can't remember) exhaust.  He bought it for his son and they are restoring
it together.  Pretty cool deal all around.

He paid $2000 or maybe a couple hundred more, but a totally different type
of sale, word of mouth, other side of the pond, private party sale.

It seems like the collector car business is hot right now, e-bay and the
televised auctions on cable all the time, giving collector cars more
exposure and making them easier to find and the coming of age of the car
crazy boomers with disposable income despite a somewhat stagnant economy
have something to do with it in my guestimation.

So I think the market in general is going up, especially some of the cars
that didn't climb so fast in the mid to later part of the 2000s, TRs and
MGs, and Sprites (vs. the Jags and Big Healeys that did).  The oddball stuff
like Jensen Healeys, early Fiat and Datsun roadsters and Daimler SP250s and
whatnot  seem like they are on the rise too.

But then again there are always deals to be had if you are in the right
place at the right time.

Greg Lemon