[Healeys] overdrive questions

Bob Haskell rchaskell at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 11 07:50:46 MDT 2012

Gary,

The second cover is the aluminum housing that that solenoid sits on.
Take the first cover (steel) off by removing the screws and the one nut.
  Loosen up the nut/bolt that clamps the actuation lever arm to the
shaft.  Remove the solenoid, plunger, lever arm and spacer.  There are
two bolts and one nut (lower left corner) holding the aluminum cover to
the overdrive.  The head of the bolts should be painted red.  One bolt
is  in the cavity that the lever arm was in, the other bolt is below.
These two bolts hold the very stiff accumulator spring.  So you need to
back the two bolts out evenly.

You'll need to drain the gearbox/OD first.

Attached is the exploded parts diagram from section GGG in the workshop
manual.  The o-ring is #38, the aluminum housing is #26, the bolts are
#31 and the two gaskets are #80 and 28.  The large spring is #48.

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php

On 03/11/2012 09:10 AM, warthodson at aol.com wrote:
> Dave,
> Yes, that is the overdrive type I am talking about. I understand where the
> o-ring is&  know that the solenoid housing has to be removed to get to the
> o-ring, but am not sure if I will run into unanticipated difficulties when I
> reinstall the solenoid housing after I replace the o-ring. What do you mean by
> the loaded cover?
> Thanks,
> Gary

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of SecGGG_OD.jpg]