[Healeys] Installing a BJ8 tranny.

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 10:47:18 MDT 2012

Hi Greg, that's a fun job.
Best is to have 2 people.
Before you start you have to use a dummy 1st motion shaft to ensure that
the clutch disc is centered in the clutch. You have to loosen the clutch
off to correct this if necessary.
Make sure the battery is disconnected and remove the throttle plastic
bearing from the manifold or you will break it.
You need to lift the engine a little, a piece of wood under the pan and a
floor jack will do that.
Hook a fan belt over the rear flange of the overdrive to serve as an easy
lift point for the guy inside the car.
The guy under the car has to lift the front of the gearbox slightly and
direct operations.
Have the gearbox in 4th gear.
You need to rotate the assembly a little to allow the starter bump on the
bell housing to pass through the bulkhead.
The guy below watches the gap between the bellhousing and the engine back
plate to ensure that they are parallel.
You have to remember that you are trying to line the spigot shaft on the
front of the gearbox up with the pilot bush in the back of the crankshaft.
You also may have to rotate the gearbox output shaft a little to make the
1st motion shaft spline match up with the spline in the clutch disc.
Don't force things.
You can raise or lower the engine on the jack and move the back of the
gearbox side to side to get the back plate and bell housing parallel which
is the big secret.
When you have everyhing in the right positions the gearbox will slide in
easily.
If you are doing it by yourself you can make things easier by having the
piece of wood under the pan extend back a few inches beyond the engine back
plate. That helps ensure that the bell housing is at the correct height.
Good luck.

--
Michael Salter

                         *I have BJ8 water pump kits!!*