[Healeys] Break in procedure

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sat Jun 30 01:33:52 MDT 2012

This will release a can of worms. There are so many opinions and methods
on this.

First you have to decide what you want. Pure performance or longevity.
I prefer to go for the last.
When rebuilding an engine I use plenty of graphite or molybdenum grease
on all moving surfaces except the cylinder walls (if cast iron) which I
lubricate with engine oil. I want the X-cross grooves from honing the
bores to remain intact as these act as small oil reservoirs to lubricate
the rings.
I fill up with the specified engine oil, mostly 20W50. Start up the
engine without fuel and plugs until there is oil pressure. Fit the
plugs, connect the fuel line and start up. Let idle for a few minutes.
Then drive the car gently in one go for about 50-100miles. Do not exceed
2500rpm and do not accelerate more than needed. Immediately after the
trip change the oil and filter. Drive the car gently for about another
1000miles change oil and filter, re-torque the head, set the tappets,
check the mixture, check all bolts and nuts and then start to increase
the speeds and loads gradually. It should be run in at about 5000miles.
This way you also preserve the small X-cross grooves in the bores.
This will ensure a lifetime lasting engine.

For outright performance/racing this method will not work as you may end
up with an engine that is to tight and may show problems at prolonged
high speeds by overheating and may be piston/cylinder problems.
It is also very important who did the machining. It hugely depends on
the tolerances and surface conditions to which the engine parts are
machined. If machined using the original tolerances you can expect less
life and running in is very important. If modern tolerances and surface
conditions are used running in is far less important if at all
necessary. But always make sure you have the first oil and filter
changes after 50-100 and 1000miles.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL