[Healeys] Non Healey rusty question

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Jun 26 01:03:19 MDT 2012

Mike,
Raw or boiled linseed oil will set when metal oxides, as a catalyst, are
present. Well, rust is iron oxide thus the linseed oil will set fine. I
think Japan drier works  similarly, probably a metal oxide or salt
solution. Raw linseed oil will penetrate much better than boiled linseed
oil. It is used mixed with lead oxide and turpentine on sea vessels to
keep the rust at bay. I have used this stuff several times and it is one
of the best ways to keep your garden fence in good shape.
Kees Oudesluijs