[Healeys] 100-4 BN2 vs BN7 3000?

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Jun 23 17:54:15 MDT 2012

Well, I haven't been able to drive our BN2 (factory 100M) more than up and down my parents' driveway (about a half-mile run each way), but can tell you it seems much lighter--partly cause the body isn't on yet--and more nimble than my BJ8. The BJ8 has 6-inch rims and 185/70 radials, so the steering is more ponderous than it used to be but I have Torrington bearings on the king pin fulcrums which help. The BN2 has a shorter rear-end for acceleration, but a taller O/D for freeway cruising. DMH took a stock 100--BN1, I believe--from a dealer and ran it at Bonneville for 24hrs at about 104mph average, which should be sufficient for most interstates. Our BN2 has mucho grunt. The mechanical clutch is smoother than I expected it would be.

The BN2s had better performance overall than the early 6-cyl cars, are about 2 inches shorter and have a 4-cylinder engine, which is very much in vogue these days.

Go for it.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA