[Healeys] Beware Pertronix

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Sun Jul 29 18:10:01 MDT 2012

I have been trying to understand this thread & I must admit I am confused. It
seems like this is being made overly complicated.
Here is how I wired my Pertronix which is installed in the Lucas distributor.
1. My BJ8 is converted to negative ground. The battery switch is still
installed & wired as original, except of course the negative cable from the
battery is connected to the switch.
2. The red wire from the Petronix is connected to the + (CB) terminal of the
coil. The white wire from the ignition switch is also connected to the +(CB)
terminal.
3. The black wire from the Pertronix is connected to the - (SW) terminal of
the coil. The white/black wire from the battery disconnect switch is also
connected to the -(SW) terminal.
4. The white/black wire from the coil to the distributor was removed.
This has been working for 5 years.
My battery disconnect switch still performs the anti-theft function as
originally intended. Therefore, when the switch is on the white/black is out
of the circuit. I.E. It does not go to ground.
Does anyone see anything wrong with this wiring?
I do not understand how the Pertronix knows or cares if it is switching the
current up stream or down stream of the coil. It does care if the polarity is
correct.
Gary Hodson

From: Bob Spidell <bspidell at comcast.net>

A Pertronix switches current 'upstream' of the coil, whereas points switch
current to ground 'downstream' of the coil.
Therefore, a Pertronix requires a ground lead on the downstream side of the
coil
to complete a circuit when the
Pertronix is in the 'charge-the-coil-and-fire-the-spark' state.